How To Conduct Research For A PhD Dissertation
Conducting the proper research for a PhD dissertation is a daunting task for even the most accomplished of academics. Composing a dissertation which reveals ground breaking and original insight into the field of ones expertise is even more of a challenge! Could your PhD dissertation offer up truly new avenues for intellectual exploration? Might your work generate some real discussion and debate?
It could do. With the right research methods and conclusions, you could break new academic ground in your field of discipline. Consider these as critical stages of PhD research when setting out to write your thesis.
Tips For Effective PhD Dissertation And Research Planning
- Assuming you have selected your topic and thought out your thesis, consult with your course adviser regarding the best way to approach the research that will be necessary to prove your thesis.
- Remember what you know. Go back and revisit the back round work you may have done in your undergraduate studies to prepare yourself for your PhD work. Having a solid knowledge base will give you confidence as you explore new avenues of intellectual inquiry.
- Be current on what is happening, any new research being undertaken, and who is talking about what in your area of expertise. Keep up with, and attend relevant conferences, whenever practical.
- New technologies can make your research easier. Be sure you are always up to speed on these. If you have any doubts, ask your adviser and peers for tips. It could save you a lot of time and worry.
- Always have a research plan, but be prepared to amend it. Research into new areas means sometimes you will get unexpected results. Prepare to be flexible with your research plan and schedule.
- While your adviser will play the principal role in helping guide you through your research, never be afraid to explore alternative academic opinions. Keep in touch with former professors and academic peers who can help you with the current research you are doing.
- You made need to expand upon,or even propose new models of computation, theory and experimentation. Do what is necessary to strengthen your defense of the thesis you have put forward. After all, thinking outside of the box is a large part of what makes exceptional dissertations exceptional.
- It may seem a bit old school, but keeping a notebook where you can scribble down thoughts and ideas whenever, and wherever, they come to you can be an invaluable tool. Some of the best ideas come at the most unexpected of times. Write 'em or lose 'em!